© University of Phoenix 2017 HRM/300: Candidate Interviews Page 1
HRM/300: Candidate Interviews ID: 02-VIDEO-584f02e7357d93dab01354e7
Select the best candidate for the job.
Sep 26, 2017
Interviewing, job candidate, human resources, HR, Interview Simulation
– [Interviewer] Hi, thanks for taking the time to come in and meet with me today. I appreciate it. Why don’t you start off by just telling me a little bit about yourself? -[Joe] Married, couple of kids, still in school, but really I’ve been doing this since 1987 so I’m in the facilities maintenance, in management for a long, long time. I’ve been around the block multiple times. It’s like rolling out of bed. – [Rose] Sure. I’m originally from a pretty small town and really tight knit family and grew up in my parent’s and my grandparent’s family business. And through that they really instilled a hard work ethic and that’s something that I hold very close to my heart. – [Interviewer] Great. – [Rose] Yeah. – [Jan] I would love to do that. If I had to summarize my personality, you’ve never met me before, so I’ll try to just summarize it in one word. I guess the first word, the letterhead, would be aggressive, that’s how I live my life. I don’t do anything halfway. Once I have decided I’m going to do something, it’s getting done. That’s my temperament, it always has been. So I would say aggressive, first and foremost. – [Interviewer] Great, um– – [Jan] But then I would absolutely, sorry, add to that — enthusiastic, right underneath that, subheading, enthusiastic. I really love work. I find it gratifying and exciting, and I frankly don’t really understand why anyone would complain about coming in to work when you chose, you chose this place for your work. – [Interviewer] Okay. – [Jan] So I bring enthusiasm with me. – [Interviewer] Great. Let’s go over a little bit about your work history here. Why don’t we start with this first thing on your resume? – [Rose] Yeah, that’s the family business that my family ran so that was part of my upbringing really and have a lot of brothers and so just kind of got into it that way and then it turns out I was pretty okay at it so that’s the route that I went and I truly enjoyed my time. -[Interviewer] Okay. – [Jan] That was such a wonderful employment experience for me. One of the most satisfying things about it was how bad that kitchen was when I first arrived. Judy Macinerny, who I think you know, was going through her divorce at the time and just really not healthy, not functioning well, crying every day, talking on the phone with her lawyer. Anyway, she wasn’t really able to lead the team effectively, and even though it doesn’t say team manager on my resume that is really the role I stepped into. I put new systems in place so that things were happening faster and more efficiently, and I think the team spirits were really lifted also under my direction. – [Interviewer] Great. – [Joe] Well, head of maintenance over there and while I was at maintenance at congregation, big staff, lot of buildings, lot of tearing up, taking down, lot of 11th hour scheduling and a lot of upkeep but again, it’s a big, big thing and I can handle it.
© University of Phoenix 2017 HRM/300: Candidate Interviews Page 2
– [Interviewer] I see you were in charge of routine daily building inspection. Why don’t you tell me a little bit about what that entailed?
– [Joe] Well, you come in, you start the day, you turn the lights on, and then you figure out what needs to be done and you get after it and you get it done. At the end of the day, if you can go home, turn the lights off and know that the building’s gonna be perfectly ready for tomorrow, you’ve done your job and it’s every little thing in between, you just figure out how to get it done.
– [Interviewer] I noticed some gaps in your work history. What were you doing during that time?
– [Rose] That’s a point in my life where I decided that I needed to really take a break for myself and so with my own money, I went and backpacked through Europe.
– [Interviewer] Wow.
– [Rose] It was pretty amazing.
– [Interviewer] Wow, sounds like it.
– [Rose] I also have a passion for cultures and different communities, so I felt like it was a huge learning experience for me and I really think that that’s something that I’ll be able to utilize in working potentially for your company.
– [Interviewer] Great.
– [Jan] That three year gap as you say is my pride and joy, Orson Atticus. There he is in his Halloween costume.
– [Interviewer] Nice.
– [Jan] Which I made. You can imagine how much my husband loved wearing that. It was hilarious, the neighbors loved it.
– [Interviewer] What gets you up in the morning? What do you find to be your main motivation?
– I really do love being a stay at home mom, and I think it’s so great and I loved that I took those first months with him, but I am someone who also really thrives on deadlines and challenges. I have a lot of energy, but I find that I am my happiest, most productive, most on top of my game when I have a challenge in front of me. That is when I am at my best.
– I’m just a really hard worker. I like to get in right on time and finish right on the dot so deadlines and work ethic is really important to me and something that I was raised on, like I said. Just a hard worker.
– [Interviewer] Okay.
– [Joe] Well, you can see on the resume, I’ve been doing it for a long time, been doing it since 1987. It’s kind of almost like who I am. It’s what I’m good at. It’s what I do, and I know how to keep places running well. I look good when it looks good, and it’s kind of, it’s just me. I know what I’m doing.
– [Interviewer] Okay. We do things differently here than any place you’ve really worked before. How do you see yourself fitting in with our corporate culture?
– [Rose] Well, I’m just a people person so I don’t have a hard time meeting new people, that’s something that excites me actually. So I’m excited to get to know the staff potentially and just really fit in and fill the gap where it’s best needed and possibly make some friends on the way.
– [Interviewer] Okay.
– [Joe] I know it’s gonna be a change. I know I’m going from big down to not so big but at the end of the day, a building’s a building, lights are lights, plumbing is plumbing and you gotta make sure it’s all clean and ready to go so I work hard, at the end of the day, it’s what I know how to do and you can see on the resume, I do it well.
– [Jan] I think what my resume will demonstrate is that I really fit in anywhere. I’m someone who can come into any environment, no matter how well it’s functioning, and I will find a way to
© University of Phoenix 2017 HRM/300: Candidate Interviews Page 3
fit in. That’s really one of my skills. I am incredibly, with my tenacity, I am incredibly relational.
-[Interviewer] Great. Well, those are all the questions I have. Are there any questions you have for me?
– [Joe] Well, I mean, I just would like to know, what else can I show you, what else can we talk about to make it really clear that this is a no brainer? I’m your guy, I’m the right guy for this.
– [Jan] I would just probably also add to all that you have learned about me today that I’m creative. I find ways to use whatever is around to improve the systems that are already in place. So if anything’s not working well, I would love to take a look at it at any time.
– [Interviewer] Great.
– [Rose] Actually, there was one thing, there wasn’t a whole lot of detail about the pay rate. So I just wanted to know perhaps a little bit more about that and I have a couple of events happening this summer, two of my friends are getting married and I’m in the wedding party, so I wanted to know about paid time off, if that’s a thing, just want to make sure that I’m planning for the future.
– [Interviewer] Sure. Well, the pay’s gonna be negotiable, but the paid time off is something that we can discuss possibly in a later interview.
– [Rose] Okay.
– [Interviewer] Alright.
– [Rose] Cool.
– [Interviewer] Well, thank you so much.
– [Rose] Thank you.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more